Reintroduction to DePaul
Happy New Year! We thought we’d kick off 2023 with a reintroduction of DePaul School for Hearing & Speech. We wanted to take this opportunity to reinforce our commitment to our mission, vision and values. For over 100 years, DePaul has provided quality Listening and Spoken Language (LSL) education for children with hearing loss. We are deeply invested in our community, our people, and our families. We embrace our responsibility in providing the best education for children who are deaf or hard of hearing through the development of academic skills that ensure success in the educational and social transition.
Following the values and traditions of our founders, the mission of DePaul School for Hearing and Speech is to teach each child who is deaf or hard of hearing to listen, speak and learn. Our children enter the educational mainstream with the foundation to succeed.
Founded in 1908 by the Diocese of Pittsburgh and the Sisters of Charity of Seton Hill, DePaul School for Hearing and Speech has been providing quality Listening and Spoken Language (LSL) education for children who are deaf or hard of hearing for over 100 years. DePaul School is licensed by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania as an approved private school. It is the policy of DePaul School to provide equal educational opportunities to all students who qualify for admission to the programs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, ancestry or national origin.
- Listening and spoken language philosophy
- Academic excellence
- Respect for the individual
- Commitment to the children we serve
- Family participation
- Support for the educational community
- Collaboration beyond our community
- Innovative use of technology
- Encourage lifelong learners
DePaul provides Listening and Spoken Language (LSL) education for children from infancy through age 15 (8th grade). This includes early childhood educational programs plus elementary and middle school curriculum that are closely aligned with state and national standards in all academic areas with an emphasis on language and vocabulary development.
In addition to our Listening and Spoken Language (LSL) programs, we launched our SAILL Preschool program (Speech and Integrated Language for Literacy Program), a newly instituted preschool program with a separate private academic license.
This intensive language-rich preschool is designed for children whose spoken language skills require consistent, targeted instruction and speech therapy in a full-day program. SAILL is for children in need of intensive speech and language services regardless of hearing loss.
At DePaul School, our students truly do speak miracles and that wouldn’t be possible without the generous support of our donors! Only 60% of our operating costs are covered by our state subsidy so your support is vital in ensuring our students have access to the specialized education they need in order to excel in the hearing and speaking world. Learn more information on ways to donate to our school.
- Take a virtual tour of DePaul School for Hearing & Speech. Come visit us virtually!
- Check out our Interactive Documentary which is packed with history, information, stories and pictures.
- View details and photographs in our timeline which takes you on a journey from mid-1800s to present day.
- Test your DePaul knowledge by taking our quiz.
- Read testimonial stories from our alumni who speak passionately of their time at DePaul.
- Learn more about our SAILL Preschool Program (Speech and Integrated Language for Literacy Program) which is a newly instituted separate preschool program approved by the Pennsylvania Board of Educators. With a separate private academic license, SAILL is for preschool-age children 3 – 5 years of age who MAY not have a hearing loss but are in need of intensive speech and language services.
At DePaul, we continue to be deeply invested in our community, our people, and our families. If you have any questions, please reach out to us. We look forward to speaking with you.
Share This Article: